These Paleo Tortillas are delicious, versatile and super easy to make with just a few simple ingredients—use them for tacos, enchiladas, wraps or even sweet crepes!
Let’s be honest—a lettuce wrap just doesn’t cut it sometimes! While I really like lettuce wraps, I occasionally just want a good old fashioned taco with a warm tortilla perfectly wrapped around the outside. These Paleo Tortillas that I’m sharing with you today are not only great for tacos, but also for burritos, enchiladas, sandwich wraps and even crepes if you add in some honey, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
I’ve tried a lot of Paleo tortilla recipes over the years and most of them were very egg-y or fell apart easily. When I came across Trina from Paleo Newbie’s tortillas, I was pleasantly surprised to find only two eggs in her recipe. I decided to experiment with the base ingredients by changing the grain free flour mix and adding an egg white as well as some additional liquid. The end result was a delicious tortilla that was flexible, held up to folding and was super easy to make!
My favorite way to enjoy these tortillas is with fish or pulled pork tacos and my husband absolutely loves using them as a breakfast wrap filled with scrambled eggs, sausage and sriracha! The recipe is easy to double or even triple if you want to make them in advance and they also keep really well in the refrigerator.
Just like making a wheat based tortilla, these tortillas turn out best when you use a non-stick pan and spread the batter as thin as possible. I find it easiest to use a measuring cup to measure out a 1/3 cup of batter so that your tortillas turn out nice and evenly shaped. Also make sure to keep a close eye on them, as they cook up quickly!
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk eggs, egg white, coconut milk, ghee and water.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients and mix well until thoroughly combined. Allow the mixture to rest for 5 minutes so the coconut flour can soak up some of the moisture, and then whisk again.
- Place an 8-10" non-stick over medium heat and season with oil. Pour ⅓ cup of batter into the pan and immediately swirl it around to ensure the bottom is coated and the tortilla is thin.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
- Lightly oil pan again and continue above steps until all the batter has been used. Place tortillas on a paper towel lined plate until ready to serve.
If you want to make crepes with this recipe, simply replace the teaspoon of water with honey or maple syrup, add in 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla, a little cinnamon and fill with sweet filling and toppings of choice.
Gluten Free, Grain Free, Dairy Free, Paleo, Whole30, 21DSD
What’s your favorite way to eat tacos—are you team lettuce wrap or do you miss tortillas since making the switch to Paleo? Let me know in the comments below!
Also, if you would like to stay up to date on my latest recipes and blog posts, you can SUBSCRIBE to my newsletter in the sidebar and also follow me on social media: Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook.